Monday, February 8, 2021

Leaving the Chocolate Factory

Chased Off

I wrote back in January about going to work in an Amazon fulfillment center.  I have been sort of languishing in the role for a while.  Tonight was my last shift.

My managers liked me well enough; they certainly liked my work ethic.  But I’m not sure they knew what to do with me.  Plus in retrospect, I think I was a bit too observant for their tastes.

One night our Area Manager (the boss) asks me what the problem is.  I had been rather cool towards him for a couple of weeks.  I mean I worked hard, I did my job, but I’d pretty much nod and get on with it.

He noticed:  “Okay, what’s going on?”

“Not to worry Chase, I’m leaving.”

“Really?  Why is that?”

“Well, I feel manipulated.”

I saw it in his expression, he knew exactly what I meant.  See, he had given me a highly unusual year end bonus.  Tiny.  So small that it could only be seen as a symbolic gesture.  He did not even call it a bonus; he called it a thank you.  But it worked.  I felt like my hard work was appreciated.

A week later, he asked a few people to apply for promotion.  I was not among them.

Complete mea culpa.  “You’re absolutely right, I meant to ask you.  But then I was out for two weeks.”

I never learned why.

“I’ll fix it.”

By this point, I did not know if he could be trusted.  And as I mentioned in my original piece, I had noticed some things about how the department was run that made me wonder.

A couple of days went by.  Then, low and behold, he moves me.

“I want you to do this a couple of nights a week and water spider a couple of nights.”

Water spider is the Amazon term for the guy who delivers unmade boxes and other supplies to the packers.  I had been doing this job practically since I started.  It's easily the worst job in the building, but I never complained.  I worked my ass off and he knew it.

“Great.”

So he moves me to the label printers.  Ten industrial printers that print the address labels for the now packed boxes and envelopes.  They are pretty amazing:  The boxes and envelopes are of all different shapes and sizes, and these machines apply the labels to them while they are moving.  They need quite a bit of tending.

It’s not that it is a step up.  But to get ahead at Amazon, you need to have exposure to as many different roles as possible.  A few days later, he moves me again, to the main sort router, keeping product inventory flowing to the packers.

His Process Assistant, T.J., tells me:  “We are moving you to vital roles that keep the business running.”  So for the first time in over a month, I actually felt good about what I was doing.  But it was fleeting because I spent less than one full shift in each of these roles.  Evidently Chase did not believe me when I told him I was leaving.  Or more likely, didn't care.  I don't think he had any intention of moving me.  This was just further manipulation.

And hey I understand, a good box guy is almost impossible to find!  Seriously, for a few bucks and a few insincere promises, he got the hardest working water spider he could imagine for, well, as long as he could sucker me into staying.  I guess he thought that was a pretty good trade-off.  But I can only allow myself to be played for so long.

Twenty years in the real estate business and thirty years as an entrepreneur have taught me to be a pretty decent judge of character.  The guy's a bit shady, and I just don't want to work for someone I cannot trust.  I'll happily do the least desirable job.  And do it well.  But don't lie to me.  I gave Chase every opportunity to prove me wrong.  But once I was convinced of his inherent dishonesty, I left.

I am rather glum about it.  I loved the idea of working for Amazon.  The actual experience...not so much.
Oompa Loompa doompedee doo...
I need some boxes...I’m looking for you.
Oompa Loompa doompedee dee...
I’ll find a dupe who will fetch them for me!
𓐵