Stop the show
The backdrop, and the backstop, for today's gay community seems to be gay marriage. We constantly hear, Oh they want to revoke our right to be married. So we must support this and that, etc. But what I see is married gay men who do not seem to really want to be married. Oh they want the right to marry, they just do not want to act the part.
Here is a question: What percentage of married gay men are in these so-called open marriages? It does not matter if you are straight or gay, an open marriage is not a marriage. If you want to have sex with a random and continuous parade of other people, stop pretending to be married. It is MINO, Marriage In Name Only. The reported statistics and rationales are revealing; and my guess is that these escapades are severely underreported among gay men. The boys are only playing house.
Americans grudgingly accepted gay men's redefinition of marriage. But now they are making a mockery of it. Fine boys; this hurts no one more than yourselves. Surely, this alone, costs your community huge public support. I also notice that this does not seem to be a thing among the lesbians. We simply must acknowledge the rampant promiscuity among some unknowable, but significant percentage of gay men. This is just a fact.
If gay men want to turn around the accelerating decline in their public support, they must separate from their more promiscuous enthusiasts, separate the LGB from the alphabet crazies, and also separate from what Amir calls the gay vibe. I call it the gay show. Because I do not think it is real; it is a show. This is where and why ordinary people reach gay fatigue. We are tired to death of the show. You say you are normal, so act normal. Like Amir says towards the end of his video, most people do not mind gay folks, we just want normal gays, without the show. He worries that the show might cost him his rights as a normal gay man. Yeah, I can see that.
Let me add something else about the show and the fatigue. Perhaps it is only my perception, but this is what I have noticed increasingly in the last few years. Some gay men, not all, but a noticeable number, are very proud of their newly acquired right to be their true selves. And if other people do not like it, well, there is nothing they can do about it.
So we get: Here I am, sharing your spaces, in all my flamboyant fabulousness. They flaunt it for no other reason than they can; it is an entitlement. What I think is happening is that they have this subversive desire to throw it in our faces; and so they proudly play up the show. Oh they couch it within their inflated effeminate demeanor, but make no mistake, it is an in your face sort of attitude.
If you pay close attention, you can see it. I have received knowing looks, even smirks, from gay men, who have noticed me observing them. Yes perhaps, they think I am exactly the audience they want to reach with their power play show. But I think it is more than that. They seem to know, that I know, that it is in fact, a show. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but watch closely and decide for yourself.
I think ordinary people, gay marriage supporting people, just hate the newly exaggerated show. We are tired of it. And the whole gay community will suffer for it.